Sunday, September 1, 2013

Social Entrepreneur within Us All

I was raised with community service all around me.  I would watch my parents volunteer their time, money, home and cars to others that either they knew or maybe didn't even know.  The value of service and sacrifice was ingrained in me from a young age.  Ohio State has helped me continue to grow and develop that value and everything that I do, I desire to make a difference in this world.  Career wise, I would like to work with an organization that strives to bring nutrition education to urban areas.  I want to create urban gardens in order to eliminate food deserts in the United States.  I also would like to combine nutrition and food with physical fitness for an overall wellness piece.  To see everyone healthy, that is what drives me.  If one is not healthy, they are not at their full potential to change the world themselves.  I want to provide people with the tools to change the world with their ideas.  I want to drive people forward to a new way of looking at themselves through food and physical fitness.  When people physically feel well, they think better, they interact with other better and are more productive.  People who are well dream big and make a big difference.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really piqued my imagination. It is great that you want to provide tools to people to change the world with their ideas. I think lack of good nutrition is problem in many African and Middle Eastern countries. In my mind, I can see imagery of starving children and think of the crisis currently going on in Syria. I believe that leaders have the power and determination to solve problems. I believe it is our responsibility as leaders to seek suitable solutions to social problems. Perhaps some of the world's problems, such as hunger and violence, could be prevented if the world's people were all knowledgeable and productive members of society. A great first step in conquering world hunger is providing proper nutrition to people in our communities who need it, so that they can feel nourished and be productive. We have the ability to create a growing trend where young people are motivated to help others. Before you know it, leaders everywhere will be finding solutions to combat problems in their communities. In turn, as time goes on, we may eventually be able to tackle bigger problems, such as violence. However, we should take one step at a time. If we as leaders can think globally and act locally by first creating positive change in our communities, then we can perhaps inspire others around the world to do the same, and we may, therefore, be able to create global change by creating a new culture of action. If we can motivate others to donate time and resources to improving the human condition for themselves, their communities, and all of mankind, then we can truly say that we are empowering others to change the world around them. This is how we change the world with our ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you found a way to incorporate your passion and vision into a potential career move. I think there are far too many people who look at college as a stepping-stone to financial success, and nothing more. People become more concerned with what kind of paycheck they earn, and they are not concerned enough with what impact they are leaving on the world. I also like that you did not limit your vision for the world to those things that you personally wanted to see change. I think your goal for helping others find nourishment, so that they can reach their full potential is especially benevolent. I love that you thought about empowering others.

    ReplyDelete