I asked my Office Assistants about my leadership, as they see me in a leadership position on a daily basis. The feedback that I received was that I am include everyone in the group and no one feels left out and that I am clear in my communication to the group. I asked for both positive and negative feedback, yet they had trouble coming up with negative feedback. I believe that is due to the position they are in, being employed by me, but I wish they had given me some constructive feedback. Being a person who is overly hard on myself about everything, constantly receiving only positive feedback seems wrong to me. I know that through this experience of asking for feedback that I need to learn to accept the positive feedback and own it. I tend to brush it off and then judge myself harshly on something that looks like I messed up majorly to me, but in reality, it was minor.
I have learned that feedback is important for growth and development, both personal and professional. I need to learn to accept positive feedback just as much as negative feedback. I have learned that I can develop through positive feedback, just as much as negative feedback. In the future, I will not seek out negative feedback, but be able to own the positive feedback given.
Lydia, you absolutely should accept positive feedback and grow with it! It is okay that you do not always receive negative feedback, because that obviously means you are doing something right and excelling as a leader! Placing myself in your employees position, I think I would be a little intimidated to give you negative feedback as well but if there was something that I thought you needed improvement on as my leader, I would not be afraid to tell you. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI understand your struggle with negative feedback, because I used to be the same way! I was that person that was always pushing to make everything perfect, include everyone, and make everyone happy. And when hearing that I'm not excelling at something used to tear me down so hard because I spent so much time trying to do the opposite. Now that I sit back and actually take stuff in, I sometimes have to think to myself that not everything needs to be this perfect and this serious, so when something doesn't go the way everyone planned I don't take it as personally.
ReplyDelete